Poughkeepsie city police bust drug suspect, stop break-in
POUGHKEEPSIE — A city man is facing felony charges for allegedly having a large quantity of narcotics, including crack cocaine, in the apartment where he was staying, according to city police, who stopped a burglary in progress and made an additional arrest at a nearby apartment when they returned to the residence where they found the drugs.
David D. Sollenberger, 31, was arrested at 5:42 a.m. Saturday by city police in a second-floor apartment at 333 Mansion St. and charged with possession of a controlled substance, possession of a weapon in the second-degree, possession of a weapon in the third-degree, all felonies; and possession of a weapon in the fourth-degree, a misdemeanor.
Police said they executed a search warrant early Saturday and found Sollenberger, the target of their investigation, in the front bedroom of the apartment.
They said they found 73 bags of crack cocaine, one bag of powder cocaine and seven glassine envelopes of heroin. They said they also found narcotics packaging materials, $759 in cash, a loaded 9mm semi-automatic handgun and a .30-06-caliber rifle.
Members of the police Neighborhood Revovery Unit later returned at 8 a.m. and interrupted a burglary in progress at a second-floor apartment.
They arrested John M. Festa, 30, of 333 Mansion St., third floor, and charged him with burglary, a felony; and possession of stolen property, a misdemeanor.
Police said Festa consented to a search of his residence, where police said they found a laptop computer and two X-Box game consules that had been stolen from Apt. 2.
Police also arrested David Roberts, 52, who they said was wanted on an outstanding warrant for cocaine possession in Dade County, Fla.
See inaccurate information in a story? Other feedback and/or ideas for us to consider? Tell us here.
Location, ST | website.com
- Hurley man, a paramedic, seriously hurt when ambulance, pickup crash on Route 32 near Ulster-Rosendale line (video) (1468)
- Hurley man, a paramedic, seriously hurt when ambulance, pickup crash on Route 32 near Ulster-Rosendale line (6:50 p.m. update; video included) (1068)
- Law and Disorder (May 19, 2013) (736)
- Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Fla. for $590M prize (670)
- Man shot dead in the face on the street in NYC hate shooting, police say (576)
- Hofstra break-in victim accidentally shot dead by Nassau County cop in confrontation with burglar (556)
- EDITORIAL: Sheldon Silver should step down as Assembly speaker (498)
Recent Activity on Facebook
Ira Fusfeld's blog offers commentary about the newspaper business and whatever else is on his mind.
City Editor Jeremy Schiffres comments about the news of the day and other topics that he finds interesting.
Life Editor Ivan Lajara talks about living in the Hudson Valley, language, the Web, cats and even politics. But he shouldn't.
Sports editor Ron Rosner talks about the local and national sports scene.