10 Things You Need to Know as you start your Monday
Here are 10 Things You Need to Know as you start your Monday:
1. NYPD monitoring of Muslim college students went beyond city limits. The Associated Press learns they watched them in Ivy League colleges of Yale and the University of Pennsylvania among other schools.
2. South Korea holds military drills near North Korea border. Pyongyang had threatened to attack if Seoul went through with the exercises but has not yet taken any action.
3. Rise of sex-changing treatment for children raises ethical issues. Some experts urge caution in treating children with puberty-blocking drugs.
4. Supreme Court considers whether lying about military exploits is a crime. A 2006 federal law raises the question of whether punishing such claims is an issue of fraud or free speech.
5. Washington avalanche kills three skiers. Inflatable device saves a fourth skier who was swept down the mountain.
6. Winter snowstorm hits the South. It causes power outages, accidents and temporarily closes a major interstate highway.
7. Mormon immigrants want to defeat Romney. Some believe he betrays a basic Mormon principle of protecting immigrants.
8. White House chef's duties go beyond cooking for the Obamas. Sam Kass is also the senior policy adviser for healthy food initiatives, an important task with Michele Obama in the White House. Continued...
9. Australia once again asks: Did a dingo kill the baby? The question reemerges as authorities revisit the investigation into Azaria Chamberlain's disappearance in the Outback in 1980.
10. New Zealand city remains 'safe haven' for earthquake survivor. Many survivors of the Feb. 22 tragedy continue to feel emotional and physical pain, but also find a sense of community.
See inaccurate information in a story? Other feedback and/or ideas for us to consider? Tell us here.
Location, ST | website.com
National News Videos
- Law & Disorder (May 24, 2013) (32)
- Tonight's Law & Disorder: May 23, 2013 (31)
- Cottekill artist leads very colorful life (video) (26)
- Yankees not a roster for the ages, but earning their pinstripes (25)
- Ex-comptroller charged with embezzling money from town of Ulster business (24)
- Kerhonkson man accused of painting graffiti in Kingston (23)
- Hurley man whose death led to drug arrest of Kingston teacher had undiagnosed heart condition, wife and Ulster County prosecutor say (23)
- Group raps Hinchey over change of heart on Cantine Dam viewing (43)
- Hurley man whose death led to drug arrest of Kingston teacher had undiagnosed heart condition, wife and Ulster County prosecutor say (7)
- Hurley man's death not caused by drugs he allegedly received from KHS teacher Matthew DiDonna, Ulster County DA's Office says (6)
- Kingston shelter operator honored by NY Senate (video) (6)
- Kingston man held in sexual abuse of two girls, ages 5 and 7 (5)
- Woodstock Fire Company 3 ex-Treasurer Dale Hughes Jr. sentenced to one year in jail for embezzlement (5)
- HITS primed for 10th year at Saugerties site (video, schedule, equestrian glossary) (5)
Recent Activity on Facebook
We'll be using this blog to publicize corrections to stories, to explain, if possible, how we made a particular mistake and to give you a better window into our reporting process.
City Editor Jeremy Schiffres comments about the news of the day and other topics that he finds interesting.