Rodents blamed for town of Ulster house fire
TOWN OF ULSTER, N.Y. — An unoccupied two-story home on Old Flatbush Road was damaged by a Monday morning fire that was caused by a rodent problem, according to East Kingston First Assistant Fire Chief Matt Watzka.
Watzka said East Kingston firefighters were called to the home at 685 Old Flatbush Road at about 11 a.m. He said the home was involved in fire when he arrived and a second alarm was sounded. The blaze was under control within 20 minutes and firefighters remained on the scene for about an hour and a half, Watzka said.
The home was uninhabited and was being used to store cleaning supplies and equipment, Watzka said. He said the fire was caused by a rodent problem as a result of which electrical wires had been chewed through. The fire spread throughout the front portion of the house and the upstairs, Watzka said. He said the house was posted as uninhabitable after the blaze.
No one was hurt, Watzka said. The name of the property owner was not immediately available.
See inaccurate information in a story? Other feedback and/or ideas for us to consider? Tell us here.
Location, ST | website.com
- Law & Disorder (May 24, 2013) (32)
- Tonight's Law & Disorder: May 23, 2013 (31)
- Cottekill artist leads very colorful life (video) (26)
- Yankees not a roster for the ages, but earning their pinstripes (25)
- Ex-comptroller charged with embezzling money from town of Ulster business (24)
- Kerhonkson man accused of painting graffiti in Kingston (23)
- Hurley man whose death led to drug arrest of Kingston teacher had undiagnosed heart condition, wife and Ulster County prosecutor say (23)
- Group raps Hinchey over change of heart on Cantine Dam viewing (43)
- Hurley man whose death led to drug arrest of Kingston teacher had undiagnosed heart condition, wife and Ulster County prosecutor say (7)
- Kingston shelter operator honored by NY Senate (video) (6)
- Hurley man's death not caused by drugs he allegedly received from KHS teacher Matthew DiDonna, Ulster County DA's Office says (6)
- Kingston man held in sexual abuse of two girls, ages 5 and 7 (5)
- Woodstock Fire Company 3 ex-Treasurer Dale Hughes Jr. sentenced to one year in jail for embezzlement (5)
Recent Activity on Facebook
Ira Fusfeld's blog offers commentary about the newspaper business and whatever else is on his mind.
City Editor Jeremy Schiffres comments about the news of the day and other topics that he finds interesting.
Life Editor Ivan Lajara talks about living in the Hudson Valley, language, the Web, cats and even politics. But he shouldn't.
Sports editor Ron Rosner talks about the local and national sports scene.