Giants GM not yet talking contract with Umenyiora
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Giants general manager Jerry Reese says he's unsure whether Osi Umenyiora would take less money to finish his career in New York.
Instead, Reese believes the recent comments to Umenyiora may have been "taken out of context."
Reese says he understands the motivation behind Umenyiora's sentiment: He wants to retire having played for only one team.
But the two have not spoken since the Super Bowl parade and Reese says he wouldn't call the decision about a long-term deal a "pressing matter." He expects to meet with Umenyiora's agent soon.
The two-time Pro Bowl defensive end was a training camp holdout last summer. Umenyiora finished with nine sacks in nine games in 2011 and is slated to earn $3.975 million next season, the final year of a seven-year deal.
See inaccurate information in a story? Other feedback and/or ideas for us to consider? Tell us here.
Central New York Region Sports By Bleacher Report
Location, ST | website.com
Athletes of the Week
National Sports Videos
Top Sports Stories
- Kingston girls basketball team raises funds in support of cancer-stricken opponents
- Danica Patrick wins pole for Nationwide race at Daytona
- P.A. Parenteau, Matt Moulson lift Isles over Rangers in SO
- Canucks beat Devils 2-1; Cory Schneider has 30 saves
- Top-ranked Baylor women rough up Kansas, 76-45
- Section 9 basketball tournament schedule
- Four local teams score top seeds for Section 9 basketball tourney
Recent Activity on Facebook
Sports editor Ron Rosner talks about the local and national sports scene.
New Paltz coaches blog their team's progress throughout the year.
Keep up to date with the resort's latest news, photos, events and other details.