TheStreet: Facebook Defriending, Job Apps, Pay Raises, Airline First Class
Here are some of the stories making news in today’s report from The Street, a leading financial news and information site:
— More Facebook Users Are 'Defriending' Than Ever
NEW YORK (MainStreet) -- Users of Facebook and other social networks are finally starting to get the message that the stuff they post on the internet can come back to haunt them.
A study from the Pew Internet & American Life Project looks at how users of social networks manage their reputations on social networks by restricting who can view their profiles. And they're doing so by culling "friends" more than ever. The survey of more than 2,000 adults in the spring found that 63% of social network users have deleted a friend at some point, up from 56% who said the same in a similar survey conducted in 2009.
Click here: http://ow.ly/9kLxK
— Is There a Bad Day of the Week to Apply for Jobs?
NEW YORK (MainStreet) -- There's no question timing is key to landing the right position, but some job hunters may focus a little too much on figuring out the perfect moment to send in an application. The truth, according to two recruiting experts, is that there is no bad time to apply for a job unless you wait too long.
"The best day to respond to an ad is the day it appears. The worst day is any other day," says Bruce Hurwitz, president of Hurwitz Strategic Staffing. It doesn't matter as much whether that day happens to be a Saturday or a Tuesday, as long as you're quick to apply. This wasn't always the case.
Click here: http://ow.ly/9kLEA
— This Is How We'd Like to Ask for a Raise Continued...
Knowing your value to the company and being able to prove it is often the key to asking for a raise.
Click here: http://ow.ly/9kLOx
— Airlines Bring On the Amenities in First Class
BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (MainStreet) -- In an era of scaled-back travel services and many airlines opting for a two-class cabin versus a traditional three, there are still airlines ramping up their first-class offerings with unprecedented amenities and luxury services that bring aviation back to its golden age -- providing you're seated in the right part of the plane.
Click here: http://ow.ly/9kLSV
To browse all of the news from The Street, now and throughout the day, log on to www.dailyfreeman.com/business.
See inaccurate information in a story? Other feedback and/or ideas for us to consider? Tell us here.
Location, ST | website.com
National News Videos
- School district election results (5031)
- Law & Disorder (May 22, 2013) (3640)
- Hurley man's death not caused by drugs he allegedly received from KHS teacher Matthew DiDonna, Ulster County DA's Office says (2112)
- Kingston school district voters OK budget, propositions (with vote tally by polling place, video) (1902)
- Hurley man whose death led to drug arrest of Kingston teacher had undiagnosed heart condition, wife and Ulster County prosecutor say (1693)
- Heavy thunderstorms, large hail, frequent lighting possible... then frost? (1617)
- Kingston shelter operator honored by NY Senate (video) (1153)
- Group raps Hinchey over change of heart on Cantine Dam viewing (34)
- Kingston shelter operator honored by NY Senate (video) (6)
- Hurley man's death not caused by drugs he allegedly received from KHS teacher Matthew DiDonna, Ulster County DA's Office says (6)
- Woodstock Fire Company 3 ex-Treasurer Dale Hughes Jr. sentenced to one year in jail for embezzlement (5)
- HITS primed for 10th year at Saugerties site (video, schedule, equestrian glossary) (5)
- Hurley man whose death led to drug arrest of Kingston teacher had undiagnosed heart condition, wife and Ulster County prosecutor say (5)
Recent Activity on Facebook
We'll be using this blog to publicize corrections to stories, to explain, if possible, how we made a particular mistake and to give you a better window into our reporting process.
City Editor Jeremy Schiffres comments about the news of the day and other topics that he finds interesting.