IBM job cuts reach Poughkeepsie, East Fishkill
POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. — A number of IBM employees in Poughkeepsie and East Fishkill were given pink slips on Monday, according to a labor organizer.
The layoffs were reported to the media by Lee Conrad, national coordinator of the Alliance@IBM. Company spokesman Doug Shelton said that, given the competitive nature of the business, IBM will not publicly discuss staffing levels.
“IBM started having job cuts again across the country; we are hearing reports from workers in Poughkeepsie and Fishkill that jobs cuts have happened there as well,” Conrad said. “About eight different business units, we believe, have had cuts.”
Said Shelton: “IBM is constantly rebalancing its workforce. That means reducing in some areas and hiring in others based on shifts in technology and client demand. This flexibility allows IBM to remain competitive and relevant in an industry that is constantly changing.”
See inaccurate information in a story? Other feedback and/or ideas for us to consider? Tell us here.
Location, ST | website.com
National News Videos
- Law & Disorder (May 24, 2013) (245)
- Cottekill artist leads very colorful life (video) (207)
- Ex-comptroller charged with embezzling money from town of Ulster business (194)
- Tonight's Law & Disorder: May 23, 2013 (146)
- NY Sen. John Bonacic sponsors bill calling for 3 casinos in Catskills (121)
- Unbeaten Rondout boys lacrosse squad rolling into sectionals (101)
- Ulster County Executive Michael Hein calls for privatizing adult mental health services (with video, proposed contract) (95)
- Group raps Hinchey over change of heart on Cantine Dam viewing (43)
- Hurley man whose death led to drug arrest of Kingston teacher had undiagnosed heart condition, wife and Ulster County prosecutor say (7)
- Kingston shelter operator honored by NY Senate (video) (6)
- Hurley man's death not caused by drugs he allegedly received from KHS teacher Matthew DiDonna, Ulster County DA's Office says (6)
- Woodstock Fire Company 3 ex-Treasurer Dale Hughes Jr. sentenced to one year in jail for embezzlement (5)
- Kingston man held in sexual abuse of two girls, ages 5 and 7 (5)
Recent Activity on Facebook
We'll be using this blog to publicize corrections to stories, to explain, if possible, how we made a particular mistake and to give you a better window into our reporting process.
City Editor Jeremy Schiffres comments about the news of the day and other topics that he finds interesting.