TheStreet: What Employers Will Ask Your References
NEW YORK (MainStreet) -- Some job hunters may view the reference-checking process as an afterthought, at least compared with the effort that goes into creating their resume and cover letter. But according to several career experts we interviewed, having a strong set of professional contacts who can vouch for a candidate can be the deciding factor in whether they get hired.
References essentially serve as a way for employers to fact-check the candidate's backstory, including how long they worked at a particular company, what their primary responsibilities were at that job and whether they were a good employee. Some recruiters will go so far as to ask candidates for additional references to paint a fuller picture of the applicant.
Click here: http://ow.ly/9sbkf
See inaccurate information in a story? Other feedback and/or ideas for us to consider? Tell us here.
Location, ST | website.com
National Life Videos
- Hurley man, a paramedic, seriously hurt when ambulance, pickup crash on Route 32 near Ulster-Rosendale line (video) (5533)
- EDITORIAL: Kingston school board looks the other way ... again (1980)
- Law & Disorder: May 18, 2013 (913)
- Catskill Mountain Railroad members barred from serving on Ulster County Railroad Advisory Committee (video) (883)
- Kingston High School choir enjoys musical milestones (video) (821)
- Law & Disorder (May 17, 2013) (708)
- Ulster County grand jury indicts five (486)
- Group raps Hinchey over change of heart on Cantine Dam viewing (70)
- Dick Trickle, former NASCAR driver, dies at 71 (55)
- Kingston High School coaching volunteer charged with rape after alleged sexual contact with two teen girls (9)
- Catskill 3500 Club members hike region's highest peaks (video) (9)
- Injured turkey vulture rescued in Kingston is released after rehabilitation (video) (8)
- Rhinebeck Aerodrome ready to fly (video) (7)
Recent Activity on Facebook
Life Editor Ivan Lajara talks about living in the Hudson Valley, language, the Web, cats and even politics. But he shouldn't.
Official blog of Nancy Donskoj, Kingston Main Street Manager.
New Yorker cartoonist Liza Donnelly's blog was started to promote her new book, published by Chronicle, and has evolved into writing and cartoons about anything.