LETTER: Cut waste in Rhinebeck
On Sept 15, 1998, the joint Rhinebeck Town-Village Technology Committee initiated a website with the following goals:
provide Rhinebeck residents with one source for government information; help overcome the confusion many have about the different roles of the village and town governments; have it be a truly shared service funded by all Rhinebeck residents via their town taxes.
The “rhinebeck-ny.gov” domain name was obtained to be used by both municipalities for the joint website and employee email addresses. The “.gov” indicated it was owned by an official governmental organization.
Using volunteer help, the website grew to become a useful, user friendly reference for the community.
Subsequently, former town Supervisor Steve Block instigated a redesign using a new user interface and organization. The service-oriented user interface was replaced by a municipality and departmental oriented interface.
After the switch to the new website, municipal employees, not volunteers, were to update of the site. Then Rhinebeck Village decided to terminate its participation in the joint website and subcontracted out the development of a totally new web.
Now, 14 years after the initial web site debuted we find: village taxpayers now pay for two websites, town and village; the single source of information with one integrated interface is gone.
Time to cut the waste! On March 20, elect Brenda Klaproth and Homer “Knick” Staley to the Village Board.
See inaccurate information in a story? Other feedback and/or ideas for us to consider? Tell us here.
Location, ST | website.com
- Tonight's Law & Disorder: May 20, 2013 (1878)
- Law & Disorder: May 21, 2013 (1136)
- Kardashian gets Gov. Andrew Cuomo warning letter over T-shirt logo (688)
- Unhappy campers: Miserable times at sleepaway camp remain vivid memories for some decades later (579)
- HITS primed for 10th year at Saugerties site (video, schedule, equestrian glossary) (511)
- Law & Disorder (May 20, 2013) (436)
- Minnewaska State Park gets $1.05 million for visitor center (416)
- Group raps Hinchey over change of heart on Cantine Dam viewing (24)
- Woodstock Fire Company 3 ex-Treasurer Dale Hughes Jr. sentenced to one year in jail for embezzlement (5)
- Dutchess college students win voting rights settlement in federal court (With court consent order) (3)
- Ulster BOCES students launch rocket (video) (3)
- SCHOLASTIC TRACK AND FIELD: Onteora girls, New Paltz boys three-peat at MHAL meet (3)
- Hurley resident's death led police to arrest KHS teacher Matthew DiDonna on drug charges, DA says (3)
- HITS primed for 10th year at Saugerties site (video, schedule, equestrian glossary) (3)
Recent Activity on Facebook
Ira Fusfeld's blog offers commentary about the newspaper business and whatever else is on his mind.
City Editor Jeremy Schiffres comments about the news of the day and other topics that he finds interesting.
Life Editor Ivan Lajara talks about living in the Hudson Valley, language, the Web, cats and even politics. But he shouldn't.
Sports editor Ron Rosner talks about the local and national sports scene.