HER BEST FOOT FORWARD: Kingston girl wants birthday party guests to bring shoes for needy children instead of gifts (video)
KINGSTON, N.Y. — Imelda Marcos believed one could never have too many shoes, but one local youngster, celebrating her ninth birthday on Saturday, is giving shoes away.
Sadya Edwards, who lives at 142 Elmendorf St. in Kingston, is holding her birthday celebration at the YMCA on Broadway from noon to 3 p.m., her mother, Ariel Edwards, said.
“She is not asking for gifts. She’s asking everyone who comes to bring a new pair of shoes for a child,” Mrs. Edwards said. “She said she has too much and wants to give something to someone else.”
Mrs. Edwards said Sadya already has taken some of her own money and bought several pairs of shoes to give away to children in need. The youngster calls her charitable effort Sadya’s closet.
“At the party, we’ll have a big box where people can leave the shoes,” Mrs. Edwards said, adding that the donated footwear should be new and suitable for school-age children.
“We always want to buy nice things for our children,” Mrs. Edwards said. “We never stop to think about other people’s children who don’t have enough of anything.”
See inaccurate information in a story? Other feedback and/or ideas for us to consider? Tell us here.
Location, ST | website.com
National News Videos
- Law & Disorder (June 19, 2013) (3023)
- Two ATV accidents, one motorcycle crash claim three lives in three days in Greene County (update) (2201)
- Fired Orange County deputy from Kingston arrested for shoplifting in Auburn (1235)
- Mole Mole adds Mexican flavor to Kingston waterfront (recipe) (1159)
- Kingston Point Dog Park nearly complete (839)
- Bear cub freed from Phoenicia trash bin after some tense moments (685)
- Catskills could get two casinos under NY leaders' deal (631)
- Group raps Hinchey over change of heart on Cantine Dam viewing (25)
- WEIGHTLIFTING: Pat Carroll, Fred Dini set bench press marks (6)
- Bear cub freed from Phoenicia trash bin after some tense moments (6)
- Study says Catskill Mountain Rail Trail would attract 140,000 annual visitors, over $3 million (4)
- Kaaterskill Rail Trail offers hiking opportunity after lengthy effort (3)
- Fired Orange County deputy from Kingston arrested for shoplifting in Auburn (3)
- State notice on TechCity site pollution cleanup effort cheers officials (3)
Recent Activity on Facebook
We'll be using this blog to publicize corrections to stories, to explain, if possible, how we made a particular mistake and to give you a better window into our reporting process.
City Editor Jeremy Schiffres comments about the news of the day and other topics that he finds interesting.