New Paltz man suffers minor injuries in Kerhonkson plane crash
KERHONKSON, N.Y. — A 50-year-old New Paltz man suffered only minor injuries when the experimental single-engine plane he was flying struck a tree and crashed about 5:40 p.m. Thursday in this town of Rochester hamlet, according to state police.
Mark Thomas already was out of the plane when emergency responders arrived at the scene and was conscious and alert, said Senior Investigator Stan O’Dell.
Thomas, the plane’s pilot and sole occupant, was taken by ambulance to St. Francis Hospital in Poughkeepsie with non-life-threatening injuries, O’Dell said.
O’Dell said the plane took off from a small airport in Plattekill and was flying at a low altitude over Old Queens Highway near U.S. Route 209 in Kerhonkson when it struck the tree and crashed in a field. O’Dell estimated the fall was less than 50 feet.
The aircraft was resting on its nose when emergency responders arrived, according to a police press release.
O’Dell did not know where the aircraft, which he described as a two-seat biplane, was headed when the accident occurred.
He said the cause of the accident is being investigated by the Federal Aviation Administration and the National Transportation Safety Board.
See inaccurate information in a story? Other feedback and/or ideas for us to consider? Tell us here.
Location, ST | website.com
- Law & Disorder (May 24, 2013) (1845)
- Ex-comptroller charged with embezzling money from town of Ulster business (1560)
- Cottekill artist leads very colorful life (video) (1370)
- STAN FISCHLER: Five good reasons to dislike the Bruins (1345)
- Middletown teen killed in car accident en route to senior prom (1244)
- Columbia County DA Paul Czajka declines to prosecute NY SAFE Act violation (870)
- Unbeaten Rondout boys lacrosse squad rolling into sectionals (853)
- Group raps Hinchey over change of heart on Cantine Dam viewing (49)
- Hurley man whose death led to drug arrest of Kingston teacher had undiagnosed heart condition, wife and Ulster County prosecutor say (7)
- Unbeaten Rondout boys lacrosse squad rolling into sectionals (6)
- Kingston shelter operator honored by NY Senate (video) (6)
- Hurley man's death not caused by drugs he allegedly received from KHS teacher Matthew DiDonna, Ulster County DA's Office says (6)
Recent Activity on Facebook
Ira Fusfeld's blog offers commentary about the newspaper business and whatever else is on his mind.
City Editor Jeremy Schiffres comments about the news of the day and other topics that he finds interesting.
Life Editor Ivan Lajara talks about living in the Hudson Valley, language, the Web, cats and even politics. But he shouldn't.
Sports editor Ron Rosner talks about the local and national sports scene.