Saugerties Performance Art Factory opens this weekend
The Saugerties Performance Art Factory will stage Eugene O’Neill’s lost play, “Exorcism,” directed by Bruce Grund and featuring Michael Da Torre, Eric Jagoda, Jon Lee, Leif Grund and Douglas Koop at 7:30 p.m. tonight and Saturday.
The O’Neill play will be followed both nights by “Miles from Somewhere,” a one-man play written and performed by Domenic Silipo. Both performances are part of SPAC’s grand gala. Doors open at 7 p.m. for visitors to enjoy the SPAC gallery and bar.
This lost play was last performed in Greenwich Village by the legendary Provincetown Players, with whom the young O’Neill collaborated on several of his early works.
The only American playwright ever to be awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature, O’Neill destroyed what was thought to be all copies of the play after the last performance. Recently, a single copy surfaced after 92 years. The New Yorker magazine published it in October 2011 and Yale University Press republished the play as a book this month. The Arena Stage in Washington, D.C., gave a reading of the play – not a full production – three weeks ago.
Very autobiographical in its portrayal of the young O’Neill, and his father, the drama stars Grund and Jahoda with Da Torre, Koop, and Larry Healy in supporting roles. It is directed by SPAF’s artistic director, Bruce Grund. Healy designed and built the set and lighting design was done by Mark Maxwell. Costuming is by Angie Mahdavian and Sarkis Simonian is the stage manager.
The “Optimistic Voices” of Jazz Cabaret Duo, Ann Osmond and Dennis Yerry will lighten things up and Woodstock Tango, founded and directed by Ilene Marder, will close the evening with a dance performance featuring guest artist Sid Grant.
Admission is $15 for all events except the children’s show Saturday, which is by donation.
Tickets can be purchased by phoning (845) 246-7723, or online at thespaf.com.
See inaccurate information in a story? Other feedback and/or ideas for us to consider? Tell us here.
Location, ST | website.com
National Entertainment Videos
- Hurley man whose death led to drug arrest of Kingston teacher had undiagnosed heart condition, wife and Ulster County prosecutor say (2328)
- Law & Disorder (May 22, 2013) (1784)
- Kingston man held in sexual abuse of two girls, ages 5 and 7 (1054)
- In the Courts (May 23, 2013) (998)
- EDITORIAL: Obama's umbrella coverage critics are all wet (909)
- Kerhonkson man accused of painting graffiti in Kingston (864)
- Kingston school district art supporters object to planned changes in middle school (UPDATED) (663)
- Group raps Hinchey over change of heart on Cantine Dam viewing (41)
- Hurley man whose death led to drug arrest of Kingston teacher had undiagnosed heart condition, wife and Ulster County prosecutor say (7)
- Kingston shelter operator honored by NY Senate (video) (6)
- Hurley man's death not caused by drugs he allegedly received from KHS teacher Matthew DiDonna, Ulster County DA's Office says (6)
- HITS primed for 10th year at Saugerties site (video, schedule, equestrian glossary) (5)
- Woodstock Fire Company 3 ex-Treasurer Dale Hughes Jr. sentenced to one year in jail for embezzlement (5)
Recent Activity on Facebook
Life Editor Ivan Lajara talks about living in the Hudson Valley, language, the Web, cats and even politics. But he shouldn't.
Official blog of the WFF. Each year film and music lovers from around the world gather for an innovative variety of films, first-class concerts, workshops, celebrity-led panels, an awards ceremony, and fantastic parties.