Hudson River designated as a “Great Water”
The America’s Great Waters Coalition has designated the Hudson River estuary as a “Great Water.”
Hudson River Sloop Clearwater Executive Director Jeffrey Rumpf said the designation will add to the region’s already growing rebirth and popularity.
“Hudson Valley residents, visitors, communities and businesses will benefit in numerous ways and enjoy a healthier, more livable and prosperous valley with a swimmable river that is free of sewage from outdated stormwater and wastewater infrastructure,” Rumpf said. “The Hudson will become a fishable river for Hudson Valley residents, who can once again eat local fish. A habitat restoration plan river will allow communities to revitalize their waterfronts and attract new businesses and tourist investments.”
U.S. Rep. Maurice Hinchey, D-Hurley, who has championed the cause of cleaning up the Hudson, said this new declaration is “another step forward in that effort.”
Hinchey, who fought for the PCB cleanup of the river, authored the legislation to create the Hudson River Valley Greenway and the Hudson River Valley National Heritage Area.
See inaccurate information in a story? Other feedback and/or ideas for us to consider? Tell us here.
Location, ST | website.com
National News Videos
- Law & Disorder (May 24, 2013) (1174)
- Cottekill artist leads very colorful life (video) (944)
- Ex-comptroller charged with embezzling money from town of Ulster business (915)
- Unbeaten Rondout boys lacrosse squad rolling into sectionals (471)
- NY Sen. John Bonacic sponsors bill calling for 3 casinos in Catskills (421)
- Ulster County Executive Michael Hein calls for privatizing adult mental health services (with video, proposed contract) (408)
- Tonight's Law & Disorder: May 23, 2013 (278)
- Group raps Hinchey over change of heart on Cantine Dam viewing (46)
- Hurley man whose death led to drug arrest of Kingston teacher had undiagnosed heart condition, wife and Ulster County prosecutor say (7)
- Hurley man's death not caused by drugs he allegedly received from KHS teacher Matthew DiDonna, Ulster County DA's Office says (6)
- Kingston shelter operator honored by NY Senate (video) (6)
- Unbeaten Rondout boys lacrosse squad rolling into sectionals (5)
- Woodstock Fire Company 3 ex-Treasurer Dale Hughes Jr. sentenced to one year in jail for embezzlement (5)
Recent Activity on Facebook
We'll be using this blog to publicize corrections to stories, to explain, if possible, how we made a particular mistake and to give you a better window into our reporting process.
City Editor Jeremy Schiffres comments about the news of the day and other topics that he finds interesting.