Virginia couple accidentally shot at gun safety class
ROANOKE, Va. (AP) -- A Roanoke, Va., man and his wife were recovering after he accidentally shot himself and her during a firearms safety class.
The Bedford County Sheriff's Office tells media outlets that Michael L. Deel shot himself in the hand with a .45-caliber handgun. The bullet also struck his wife, Michelle, in the leg as she was sitting beside him.
The incident occurred Saturday during a firearms safety class at a residence. The instructor, Thomas Starke, told police he'd left the room and then heard a shot.
The Deels were taken to a local hospital where they were treated for non-life threatening injuries.
Michael Deel says the shooting was a "stupid accident."
See inaccurate information in a story? Other feedback and/or ideas for us to consider? Tell us here.
Location, ST | website.com
- Hurley man, a paramedic, seriously hurt when ambulance, pickup crash on Route 32 near Ulster-Rosendale line (6:50 p.m. update; video included) (250)
- Hurley man, a paramedic, seriously hurt when ambulance, pickup crash on Route 32 near Ulster-Rosendale line (video) (55)
- Tonight's Law & Disorder: May 18, 2013 (35)
- Yankees down Blue Jays, 7-2, behind Robinson Cano's 2 homers (32)
- Powerball winner likely now that 80% of possible number combos are taken (25)
- Have a taste of Woodstock at fundraiser (video) (25)
- EDITORIAL: Kingston school board looks the other way ... again (20)
Recent Activity on Facebook
Ira Fusfeld's blog offers commentary about the newspaper business and whatever else is on his mind.
City Editor Jeremy Schiffres comments about the news of the day and other topics that he finds interesting.
Life Editor Ivan Lajara talks about living in the Hudson Valley, language, the Web, cats and even politics. But he shouldn't.
Sports editor Ron Rosner talks about the local and national sports scene.