Levon Helm wake scheduled for Thursday in Woodstock
WOODSTOCK, N.Y. — The public is invited to pay last respects to musician Levon Helm from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Thursday at his home/studio on Plochmann Lane in Woodstock, according to his official website.
A private funeral service for Helm is to be held on Friday.
Helm — a former member of The Band, four-time Grammy Award winner and member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame — died last Thursday at age 71 after a battle with cancer.
Mourners’ vehicles will not be allowed on Helm’s property on Thursday. Rather, those wishing to pay their respects are asked to park at the Woodstock Playhouse, 103 Mill Hill Road, Cucina Woodstock, 109 Mill Hill Road, or Andy Lee Field on Rock City Road and take a shuttle bus to the wake.
The Lasher Funeral Home, which is handling the arrangements for Helm, said the casket will be present on Thursday. It was not immediately clear, though, whether it will be open or closed.
Helm — a singer, drummer and mandolin player — was diagnosed with throat cancer in 1998. The illness reduced his voice to a raspy whisper, but he continued to perform, most notably at his “Midnight Ramble” concerts at his home, until shortly before his death.
See inaccurate information in a story? Other feedback and/or ideas for us to consider? Tell us here.
Location, ST | website.com
National News Videos
- School district election results (4728)
- Law & Disorder (May 22, 2013) (3253)
- Hurley man's death not caused by drugs he allegedly received from KHS teacher Matthew DiDonna, Ulster County DA's Office says (2006)
- Kingston school district voters OK budget, propositions (with vote tally by polling place, video) (1825)
- Heavy thunderstorms, large hail, frequent lighting possible... then frost? (1530)
- Kingston shelter operator honored by NY Senate (video) (946)
- Hurley man whose death led to drug arrest of Kingston teacher had undiagnosed heart condition, wife and Ulster County prosecutor say (732)
- Group raps Hinchey over change of heart on Cantine Dam viewing (33)
- Hurley man's death not caused by drugs he allegedly received from KHS teacher Matthew DiDonna, Ulster County DA's Office says (6)
- HITS primed for 10th year at Saugerties site (video, schedule, equestrian glossary) (5)
- Woodstock Fire Company 3 ex-Treasurer Dale Hughes Jr. sentenced to one year in jail for embezzlement (5)
- Kingston shelter operator honored by NY Senate (video) (5)
- Hurley man whose death led to drug arrest of Kingston teacher had undiagnosed heart condition, wife and Ulster County prosecutor say (4)
Recent Activity on Facebook
We'll be using this blog to publicize corrections to stories, to explain, if possible, how we made a particular mistake and to give you a better window into our reporting process.
City Editor Jeremy Schiffres comments about the news of the day and other topics that he finds interesting.