Wake for Levon Helm today in Woodstock; Ulster County Executive Michael Hein orders flags lowered; U.S. Rep. Hinchey pays tribute to late musician
The public wake for musician Levon Helm, who died last week, will be held from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. today at his home/studio on Plochmann Lane in Woodstock.
Mourners’ vehicles will not be allowed on Helm’s property. Rather, those wishing to pay their respects are asked to park at the Woodstock Playhouse, 103 Mill Hill Road, Cucina Woodstock, 109 Mill Hill Road, or Andy Lee Field on Rock City Road and take a shuttle bus to the wake.
Also, Ulster County Executive Michael Hein has ordered that flags on all county-owned properties fly at half-staff today in memory of Helm.
Hein said he directed the flags lowered out of respect for the “amazing citizen (Helm) was here in Ulster County ... not just a remarkable musician and a voice of a generation, but also a friend to Ulster County and an amazing person.”
Additionally, U.S. Rep. Maurice Hinchey, D-Hurley, paid tribute to Helm on Wednesday in a speech on the House floor. See video here:
Helm — a former member of The Band, four-time Grammy Award winner and member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame — died last Thursday at age 71 after a battle with cancer.
A private funeral service for Helm is to be held on Friday.
See inaccurate information in a story? Other feedback and/or ideas for us to consider? Tell us here.
Location, ST | website.com
National News Videos
- Law & Disorder (May 24, 2013) (1845)
- Ex-comptroller charged with embezzling money from town of Ulster business (1560)
- STAN FISCHLER: Five good reasons to dislike the Bruins (1345)
- Middletown teen killed in car accident en route to senior prom (1244)
- Columbia County DA Paul Czajka declines to prosecute NY SAFE Act violation (870)
- Unbeaten Rondout boys lacrosse squad rolling into sectionals (853)
- Group raps Hinchey over change of heart on Cantine Dam viewing (50)
- Hurley man whose death led to drug arrest of Kingston teacher had undiagnosed heart condition, wife and Ulster County prosecutor say (7)
- Unbeaten Rondout boys lacrosse squad rolling into sectionals (6)
- Hurley man's death not caused by drugs he allegedly received from KHS teacher Matthew DiDonna, Ulster County DA's Office says (6)
- Kingston shelter operator honored by NY Senate (video) (6)
- HITS primed for 10th year at Saugerties site (video, schedule, equestrian glossary) (5)
Recent Activity on Facebook
We'll be using this blog to publicize corrections to stories, to explain, if possible, how we made a particular mistake and to give you a better window into our reporting process.
City Editor Jeremy Schiffres comments about the news of the day and other topics that he finds interesting.