Kingston High School Assistant Principal Michael Millan hurt in fight between two students
KINGSTON, N.Y. — An assistant principal at Kingston High School was injured during afight between two students on Thursday, according to school district officials.
The students were fighting in a hallway and were taken to Assistant Principal Michael Millan’s office, and Millan was hurt when the pair “started up again,” Board of Education President James Shaughnessy said on Friday.
Millan was treated at a hospital and released following the incident, Shaughnessy said, though he was unsure of the extent of the assistant principal’s injuries. He said Millan may have hurt an ankle.
Shaughnessy did not know if the assistant principal was able to return to work on Friday, and Superintendent Paul Padalino did not respond to that question in an email exchange with a reporter.
The students involved in the fight are facing five-day suspensions and superintendent’s hearings, which can result in further discipline, Shaughnessy said.
Padalino, by email, said: “Further disciplinary action may follow after Kingston High School administrators complete their investigation.”
Shaughnessy said Padalino told him the fight started when one student inadvertently bumped the other and the situation escalated.
“This is an unfortunate occurrence,” Padalino wrote. “Our teachers and administrators know that student safety is the highest priority. Mr. Millan should be commended for quick thinking and his actions, which were taken to protect students and staff.”
See inaccurate information in a story? Other feedback and/or ideas for us to consider? Tell us here.
Location, ST | website.com
National News Videos
- Hurley man, a paramedic, seriously hurt when ambulance, pickup crash on Route 32 near Ulster-Rosendale line (6:50 p.m. update; video included) (11328)
- EDITORIAL: Kingston school board looks the other way ... again (2261)
- Law & Disorder: May 18, 2013 (1101)
- Catskill Mountain Railroad members barred from serving on Ulster County Railroad Advisory Committee (video) (1075)
- Kingston High School choir enjoys musical milestones (video) (907)
- Law & Disorder (May 17, 2013) (791)
- Powerball winner likely now that 80% of possible number combos are taken (764)
- Group raps Hinchey over change of heart on Cantine Dam viewing (72)
- Dick Trickle, former NASCAR driver, dies at 71 (55)
- Hurley man, a paramedic, seriously hurt when ambulance, pickup crash on Route 32 near Ulster-Rosendale line (6:50 p.m. update; video included) (10)
- Kingston High School coaching volunteer charged with rape after alleged sexual contact with two teen girls (9)
- Catskill 3500 Club members hike region's highest peaks (video) (9)
- Injured turkey vulture rescued in Kingston is released after rehabilitation (video) (8)
- Rhinebeck Aerodrome ready to fly (video) (7)
Recent Activity on Facebook
We'll be using this blog to publicize corrections to stories, to explain, if possible, how we made a particular mistake and to give you a better window into our reporting process.
City Editor Jeremy Schiffres comments about the news of the day and other topics that he finds interesting.