Kingston High School student involved in fight that injured assistant principal faces felony charge
KINGSTON, N.Y.— A 15-year-old student who was involved in the fight last week in which a Kingston High School assistant principal was injured will face a felony assault charge in Ulster County Family Court, city police said on Tuesday.
Detective Tim Bowers said that when a school employee is injured as the result of an assault on school grounds, the person deemed responsible is automatically charged with a felony.
The second student in last Thursday’s fight is being charged with disorderly conduct, a violation.
Bowers said he could not provide the name of the student charged with the felony because the youngster is a juvenile. The detective said he did not have the name of the other student, who is older.
Kingston school district Superintendent Paul Padalino said the assistant principal, Michael Millan, was injured when he got between two students who were fighting and has been out of work since.
Millan has been sore in the aftermath of the fight but was not seriously injured and should be back to work soon, Padalino said.
The two students were taken to Millan’s office after fighting in a hallway after one bumped into the other and tempers flared, school officials have said.
Padalino said Millan was trying to mediate the conflict when he was injured and was not targeted by the pair.
“He did what AP’s do,” said Padalino, who has praised Millan for “quick thinking” and taking actions “to protect students and staff.”
The superintendent described the criminal charges as appropriate and said school officials also are pursuing disciplinary action against the pair. Continued...
“Schools are for learning and are no place for this type of activity,” Padalino said.
The students involved in the fight are facing five-day suspensions and superintendent’s hearings, which can result in further discipline, James Shaughnessy, president of the school board, has said.
See inaccurate information in a story? Other feedback and/or ideas for us to consider? Tell us here.
Location, ST | website.com
National News Videos
- Columbia County man among two charged in X-ray terror plot (666)
- Law & Disorder (June 20, 2013) (581)
- Kingston baby's death being investigated as homicide, police say (349)
- Tonight's Law & Disorder (June 19, 2013) (174)
- Catskills could get two casinos under NY leaders' deal (173)
- 'Sopranos' star James Gandolfini dead at 51 (video) (124)
- Group raps Hinchey over change of heart on Cantine Dam viewing (26)
- WEIGHTLIFTING: Pat Carroll, Fred Dini set bench press marks (8)
- Bear cub freed from Phoenicia trash bin after some tense moments (6)
- Study says Catskill Mountain Rail Trail would attract 140,000 annual visitors, over $3 million (4)
- Kingston Point Dog Park nearly complete (4)
- Kingston basketball clinic scheduled (3)
- Former Dutchess County Executive Lucille Pattison dies at 77 (3)
Recent Activity on Facebook
We'll be using this blog to publicize corrections to stories, to explain, if possible, how we made a particular mistake and to give you a better window into our reporting process.
City Editor Jeremy Schiffres comments about the news of the day and other topics that he finds interesting.