Man charged with DWI after crash that cuts power to Hudson Valley Mall
TOWN OF ULSTER, N.Y. — A Kingston man was arrested Friday night after the car he was driving struck a utility pole in the parking lot of the Hudson Valley Mall, disrupting power to the mall and other businesses and homes, police said.
Ulster town police said Shawn D. Styles, 32, of 64 Boulevard, Kingston, struck a stop sign, a utility pole and guy wire in the mall parking lot near the Sears store. The accident happened shortly before 9 p.m.
Police said Styles then drove across Frank Sottile Boulevard and was located a short time later near Ollie’s Discount Store.
Police said Styles was intoxicated at the time of the incident.
The accident caused the utility pole to become displaced leading to the power outage.
Central Hudson Gas & Electric Corps. spokeswoman Bailee Dunn said power was restored to all customers by 1:30 a.m. on Saturday.
Styles was charged with misdemeanor drunken driving, misdemeanor operating a motor vehicle with a blood alcohol content greater than 0.08 percent and misdemeanor aggravated unlicensed driving.
He also was charged with the traffic infractions of leaving the scene of a property damage accident and driving without a license.
Additionally, Styles was wanted on a bench warrant issued by Ulster Town Court for misdemeanor criminal possession of a forged instrument.
Following arraignment at which he paid his outstanding fine of $500 to clear the bench warrant, he was released on appearance tickets for Ulster Town Court.
See inaccurate information in a story? Other feedback and/or ideas for us to consider? Tell us here.
Location, ST | website.com
- Law & Disorder (May 25, 2013) (2401)
- Columbia County DA Paul Czajka declines to prosecute NY SAFE Act violation (723)
- Curtis Granderson, David Phelps injured in Yankees' victory over Rays (662)
- New Paltz Mayor Jason West should be ousted over residency issue, falsified records, village resident says (630)
- Hudson Valley Best Bets for this weekend (630)
- Angel Flight plane crashes in upstate NY; 2 killed, pilot missing (579)
- Tonight's Law & Disorder: May 24, 2013 (508)
- Group raps Hinchey over change of heart on Cantine Dam viewing (52)
- Hurley man whose death led to drug arrest of Kingston teacher had undiagnosed heart condition, wife and Ulster County prosecutor say (7)
- Unbeaten Rondout boys lacrosse squad rolling into sectionals (6)
- Kingston shelter operator honored by NY Senate (video) (6)
- Hurley man's death not caused by drugs he allegedly received from KHS teacher Matthew DiDonna, Ulster County DA's Office says (6)
Recent Activity on Facebook
Ira Fusfeld's blog offers commentary about the newspaper business and whatever else is on his mind.
City Editor Jeremy Schiffres comments about the news of the day and other topics that he finds interesting.
Life Editor Ivan Lajara talks about living in the Hudson Valley, language, the Web, cats and even politics. But he shouldn't.
Sports editor Ron Rosner talks about the local and national sports scene.