Man charged with DWI after crash that cuts power to Hudson Valley Mall
TOWN OF ULSTER, N.Y. — A Kingston man was arrested Friday night after the car he was driving struck a utility pole in the parking lot of the Hudson Valley Mall, disrupting power to the mall and other businesses and homes, police said.
Ulster town police said Shawn D. Styles, 32, of 64 Boulevard, Kingston, struck a stop sign, a utility pole and guy wire in the mall parking lot near the Sears store. The accident happened shortly before 9 p.m.
Police said Styles then drove across Frank Sottile Boulevard and was located a short time later near Ollie’s Discount Store.
Police said Styles was intoxicated at the time of the incident.
The accident caused the utility pole to become displaced leading to the power outage.
Central Hudson Gas & Electric Corps. spokeswoman Bailee Dunn said power was restored to all customers by 1:30 a.m. on Saturday.
Styles was charged with misdemeanor drunken driving, misdemeanor operating a motor vehicle with a blood alcohol content greater than 0.08 percent and misdemeanor aggravated unlicensed driving.
He also was charged with the traffic infractions of leaving the scene of a property damage accident and driving without a license.
Additionally, Styles was wanted on a bench warrant issued by Ulster Town Court for misdemeanor criminal possession of a forged instrument.
Following arraignment at which he paid his outstanding fine of $500 to clear the bench warrant, he was released on appearance tickets for Ulster Town Court.
See inaccurate information in a story? Other feedback and/or ideas for us to consider? Tell us here.
Location, ST | website.com
- Tonight's Law & Disorder: May 20, 2013 (2489)
- Law & Disorder: May 21, 2013 (2475)
- Hurley man's death not caused by drugs he allegedly received from KHS teacher Matthew DiDonna, Ulster County DA's Office says (1336)
- Kardashian gets Gov. Andrew Cuomo warning letter over T-shirt logo (1296)
- EDITORIAL: Angelina Jolie sparks conversation about breast cancer (1051)
- HITS primed for 10th year at Saugerties site (video, schedule, equestrian glossary) (931)
- Unhappy campers: Miserable times at sleepaway camp remain vivid memories for some decades later (863)
- Group raps Hinchey over change of heart on Cantine Dam viewing (26)
- HITS primed for 10th year at Saugerties site (video, schedule, equestrian glossary) (5)
- Woodstock Fire Company 3 ex-Treasurer Dale Hughes Jr. sentenced to one year in jail for embezzlement (5)
- Ulster BOCES students launch rocket (video) (4)
- Hurley man's death not caused by drugs he allegedly received from KHS teacher Matthew DiDonna, Ulster County DA's Office says (4)
- SCHOLASTIC TRACK AND FIELD: Onteora girls, New Paltz boys three-peat at MHAL meet (3)
- Orange Regional and Catskill Regional hospitals to cut 140 jobs (3)
Recent Activity on Facebook
Ira Fusfeld's blog offers commentary about the newspaper business and whatever else is on his mind.
City Editor Jeremy Schiffres comments about the news of the day and other topics that he finds interesting.
Life Editor Ivan Lajara talks about living in the Hudson Valley, language, the Web, cats and even politics. But he shouldn't.
Sports editor Ron Rosner talks about the local and national sports scene.