Girl, 16, still in critical condition after off-trail dirt bike collision in Rosendale
ROSENDALE, N.Y. — A 16-year-old girl who was riding a four-wheeler Sunday evening when a dirt biker collided with her remained in critical condition with a fractured skull and bruising on the brain, her father said Monday night.
State police said their investigation revealed that Paul Harper, 40, was operating a Honda dirt bike on a private trail off Italiana Road and collided with the Yamaha ATV driven by the girl at about 7 p.m. Sunday. Police did not identify the girl.
But Bill Smith said his daughter, Kaylon Smith, a junior at Kingston High School, was “putting around in the yard on a quad” when the incident occurred.
She was visiting her father for the weekend at the home of a family friend, Smith said. He said she lives in Kingston with her mother.
“Kaylon was driving around the backyard of the house on a four-wheeler,” he said. “Because she was just putting around, she didn’t have a helmet.”
Smith said the biker “came flying out of the woods into the yard and just blindsided her.”
“He was going fast. He was airborne when he hit her. It was like this jump, and he hit her on the left side of her head,” Smith said.
He said he has remained by the girl’s side at Westchester Medical Center in Valhalla since the incident took place.
Her father said it happened during a picnic to celebrate his birthday.
Smith related what happened late Monday and police could not be reached to confirm what he said. Continued...
State police earlier said they are continuing to investigate. No arrests had been made.
State police Senior Investigator Peter Kusminsky earlier described the area of the collision as a dead-end street with three homes. He said the location is known for ATV use by the residents who live in the neighborhood.
State police said they were investigating whether alcohol may have been a factor in the accident.
See inaccurate information in a story? Other feedback and/or ideas for us to consider? Tell us here.
Location, ST | website.com
- Hurley man, a paramedic, seriously hurt when ambulance, pickup crash on Route 32 near Ulster-Rosendale line (video) (1468)
- Hurley man, a paramedic, seriously hurt when ambulance, pickup crash on Route 32 near Ulster-Rosendale line (6:50 p.m. update; video included) (1068)
- Law and Disorder (May 19, 2013) (736)
- Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Fla. for $590M prize (670)
- Man shot dead in the face on the street in NYC hate shooting, police say (576)
- Hofstra break-in victim accidentally shot dead by Nassau County cop in confrontation with burglar (556)
- EDITORIAL: Sheldon Silver should step down as Assembly speaker (498)
Recent Activity on Facebook
Ira Fusfeld's blog offers commentary about the newspaper business and whatever else is on his mind.
City Editor Jeremy Schiffres comments about the news of the day and other topics that he finds interesting.
Life Editor Ivan Lajara talks about living in the Hudson Valley, language, the Web, cats and even politics. But he shouldn't.
Sports editor Ron Rosner talks about the local and national sports scene.