2 held after incident at bank in Kingston Plaza
KINGSTON, N.Y. — City police had two people into custody Saturday evening after converging on the Chase bank branch at Kingston Plaza.
Sgt. Barry Rell said the raid was part of an investigation into a possible ATM skimming operation, and he described the people who were picked up as “a couple persons of interest.”
No one had been charged with a crime as of 7 p.m., Rell said, and would not say if the people in custody were employees of the bank.
He did not elaborate on the skimming operation, nor did he provide the names of the people being held.
Rell said police were “working with Chase security on the matter.”
From about 6 to 6:30 p.m., there was a flurry of police activity at the plaza that included between half a dozen and 10 Kingston police patrol and detective units in addition to at least one Ulster County sheriff’s deputy. Both entrances to the plaza — on Schwenk Drive and Westbrook Lane — were blocked during the half-hour.
The police activity occurred while a car show was going on at the plaza.
Rell said Saturday’s police activity was sparked by police receiving information that he described as “time sensitive.”
The mood at the plaza returned to normal as soon as the incident was over, with people enjoying the car show and otherwise casually patronizing businesses in the plaza as usual.
See inaccurate information in a story? Other feedback and/or ideas for us to consider? Tell us here.
Location, ST | website.com
- School district election results (3721)
- Law & Disorder: May 21, 2013 (2907)
- Tonight's Law & Disorder: May 20, 2013 (2679)
- Hurley man's death not caused by drugs he allegedly received from KHS teacher Matthew DiDonna, Ulster County DA's Office says (2531)
- Kardashian gets Gov. Andrew Cuomo warning letter over T-shirt logo (1411)
- EDITORIAL: Angelina Jolie sparks conversation about breast cancer (1246)
- HITS primed for 10th year at Saugerties site (video, schedule, equestrian glossary) (1106)
- Group raps Hinchey over change of heart on Cantine Dam viewing (26)
- HITS primed for 10th year at Saugerties site (video, schedule, equestrian glossary) (5)
- Hurley man's death not caused by drugs he allegedly received from KHS teacher Matthew DiDonna, Ulster County DA's Office says (5)
- Woodstock Fire Company 3 ex-Treasurer Dale Hughes Jr. sentenced to one year in jail for embezzlement (5)
- Ulster BOCES students launch rocket (video) (4)
- SCHOLASTIC TRACK AND FIELD: Onteora girls, New Paltz boys three-peat at MHAL meet (3)
- Orange Regional and Catskill Regional hospitals to cut 140 jobs (3)
Recent Activity on Facebook
Ira Fusfeld's blog offers commentary about the newspaper business and whatever else is on his mind.
City Editor Jeremy Schiffres comments about the news of the day and other topics that he finds interesting.
Life Editor Ivan Lajara talks about living in the Hudson Valley, language, the Web, cats and even politics. But he shouldn't.
Sports editor Ron Rosner talks about the local and national sports scene.