Three-car Route 28 crash sends four to hospital
TOWN OF ULSTER, N.Y. — Four people were hospitalized Tuesday after a three-car accident during which one vehicle was struck from behind, knocked into the other lane, and hit again, town police said.
Police said Kelly Furman, 30, of Kingston, was driving a 2010 Subaru east on state Route 28 when she slowed to turn left from the passing lane into the Hess gas station on state Route 28 at about 11:35 a.m.
As she slowed, a 1996 Jeep driven by 40-year-old Olivebridge resident Shawna Iwanowski then struck Furman’s Subaru from behind, police said.
The force of the impact spun Furman’s Subaru into oncoming westbound traffic, where the Subaru was struck a second time by a 2006 Toyota driven by Russell Gray, whose age and address were not immediately available, police said.
Furman’s Subaru hit a utility pole and “came to rest” in the Hess parking lot, police said.
All drivers were taken to Kingston Hospital, plus a 74-year-old woman who was Gray’s passenger.
Police said Furman suffered pelvic injuries.
Meanwhile, Iwanowski, who was driving the Jeep, was being evaluated for an arm injury, Gray complained of chest pain, and the elderly woman whom police did not identify suffered a finger injury, police said.
Police said their investigation found Iwanowski was driving with a suspended license and had marijuana in her possession. She was charged with misdemeanor aggravated unlicensed driving and unlawful possession of a marijuana, a violation.
Iwanowski was released on tickets to appear in Ulster Town Court.
See inaccurate information in a story? Other feedback and/or ideas for us to consider? Tell us here.
Location, ST | website.com
- Hurley man, a paramedic, seriously hurt when ambulance, pickup crash on Route 32 near Ulster-Rosendale line (6:50 p.m. update; video included) (9572)
- EDITORIAL: Kingston school board looks the other way ... again (2154)
- Law & Disorder: May 18, 2013 (1041)
- Catskill Mountain Railroad members barred from serving on Ulster County Railroad Advisory Committee (video) (1029)
- Kingston High School choir enjoys musical milestones (video) (869)
- Law & Disorder (May 17, 2013) (764)
- Ulster County grand jury indicts five (574)
- Group raps Hinchey over change of heart on Cantine Dam viewing (71)
- Dick Trickle, former NASCAR driver, dies at 71 (55)
- Kingston High School coaching volunteer charged with rape after alleged sexual contact with two teen girls (9)
- Catskill 3500 Club members hike region's highest peaks (video) (9)
- Injured turkey vulture rescued in Kingston is released after rehabilitation (video) (8)
- Hurley man, a paramedic, seriously hurt when ambulance, pickup crash on Route 32 near Ulster-Rosendale line (6:50 p.m. update; video included) (8)
Recent Activity on Facebook
Ira Fusfeld's blog offers commentary about the newspaper business and whatever else is on his mind.
City Editor Jeremy Schiffres comments about the news of the day and other topics that he finds interesting.
Life Editor Ivan Lajara talks about living in the Hudson Valley, language, the Web, cats and even politics. But he shouldn't.
Sports editor Ron Rosner talks about the local and national sports scene.