43 felines grace Cat’n Around Catskill 2012
CATSKILL, N.Y. — They might be part of a smaller litter, but this year’s batch of decorated fiberglass cats is just as eye-catching on the streets of Catskill as part of Cat’n Around Catskill 2012.
“We’re down to 43 cats this year, but we still have a pretty great display,” said Linda Overbaugh, executive director of the Catskill Chamber of Commerce/Heart of Catskill Association. She said this is the sixth year the community has held the summer-long art event and there have been more than 300 cats displayed in all. None have been duplicates, Overbaugh said. She said the artists keep coming up with new ideas.
This year’s cats include one designed to look like a rooster, another fashioned to have a body that looks like an old-fashioned soda vending machine and another made to look like a stack of carved jack-o’-lanterns. There’s even a cat encased in a knight’s armor.
The cats were erected around the community this past week and will remain on display through mid-September, Overbaugh said.
“We always try to get them up so they’re there for Memorial Day weekend,” Overbaugh said. She said the cats will later be auctioned off at the annual gala to be held Sept. 30 at the Historic Catskill Point in the village.
The auctioneer at the gala will once again be Russ Carlsen of Carlsen Gallery in Freehold, Overbaugh said.
The proceeds of the auction will be split, with 25 to 30 percent of each cat’s gross sale price going to its artist and the rest being donated to arts education, animal welfare, local not-for-profits, local food banks and future Catskill promotions.
The cats are mostly displayed on Main Street, as in past years, though four will be on county Route 23B between Jefferson Heights and the hamlet of Leeds, Overbaugh said. She said there will also be two cats on U.S. Route 9W, one in front of the Wine Cellar and the other in front of McDonald’s. Overbaugh said Catskill is also trading one of its cats for one of the Rip Van Winkle statues being decorated in the village of Hunter.
To purchase tickets to the annual auction and gala, call the Catskill Chamber of Commerce/Heart of Catskill Association at (518) 943-0989.
See inaccurate information in a story? Other feedback and/or ideas for us to consider? Tell us here.
Location, ST | website.com
National News Videos
- Law & Disorder (May 20, 2013) (2337)
- Johnny Depp portrayal of Tonto in 'The Lone Ranger' under scrutiny (1009)
- Pursuit of tax credits stalls Kingston housing projects (video) (977)
- Officer's split-second choice ended with NY student dead (747)
- Body found on Hudson River shore at Hyde Park believed to be that of missing canoeist (569)
- Tonight's Law & Disorder: May 19, 2013 (553)
- Butterfly Lady: Shokan woman has 40-year enchantment with the colorful insect (video) (541)
- Group raps Hinchey over change of heart on Cantine Dam viewing (13)
- Woodstock Fire Company 3 ex-Treasurer Dale Hughes Jr. sentenced to one year in jail for embezzlement (5)
- Hurley resident's death led police to arrest KHS teacher Matthew DiDonna on drug charges, DA says (3)
- CHARTOCK: It's put up or shut up time for Gov. Andrew Cuomo (3)
- Ulster BOCES students launch rocket (video) (3)
- SCHOLASTIC TRACK AND FIELD: Onteora girls, New Paltz boys three-peat at MHAL meet (3)
- Rosendale resort proposal clears state hurdle (2)
Recent Activity on Facebook
We'll be using this blog to publicize corrections to stories, to explain, if possible, how we made a particular mistake and to give you a better window into our reporting process.
City Editor Jeremy Schiffres comments about the news of the day and other topics that he finds interesting.