Report: Cops skied free at Belleayre; NY Sen. John Bonacic implicated in free-pass program
The Watershed Post reports today that police officers from throughout the region for years have skied for free at Belleayre Mountain Ski Center, which has been sharply attacked by private competitors for its distribution of free passes.
The online news operation says local police agencies -- including the state police, Ulster County Sheriff's Office, Department of Environmental Protection, and the Woodstock and Olive police departments -- provided Belleayre management with lists of their officers and thanked Belleayre for "complimentary skiing" and "consideration or professional courtesy."
Watershed Post said the state Inspector General has been investigating the practice and queries to the state Department of Environmental Conservation about the issue were referred to the Inspector General.
The story comes against the background of the dismissal of Tony Lanza as superintendent of Belleayre. A Department of Environmental Conservation spokeswoman said at the time that the department "is in possession of information that warrants Mr. Lanza’s dismissal," but declined to give further details.
Watershed Post said a ledger appears to show on whose authority free passes were issued and that, while many entries indicated Lanza had authorized passes, other entries appear to indicate the involvement of state Sen. John Bonacic, R-Mount Hope, and Jim McGrath, officer in charge of the town of Shandaken Police Department.
To read the full Watershed Post story, click here.
See inaccurate information in a story? Other feedback and/or ideas for us to consider? Tell us here.
Location, ST | website.com
National News Videos
- Law & Disorder (May 25, 2013) (2904)
- Marbletown Elementary School principal, kindergarten teacher, head secretary removed from jobs (2281)
- Angel Flight plane crashes in upstate NY; 2 killed, pilot missing (1197)
- Columbia County DA Paul Czajka declines to prosecute NY SAFE Act violation (873)
- Curtis Granderson, David Phelps injured in Yankees' victory over Rays (849)
- Hudson Valley Best Bets for this weekend (720)
- New Paltz Mayor Jason West should be ousted over residency issue, falsified records, village resident says (691)
- Group raps Hinchey over change of heart on Cantine Dam viewing (53)
- Hurley man whose death led to drug arrest of Kingston teacher had undiagnosed heart condition, wife and Ulster County prosecutor say (7)
- Kingston shelter operator honored by NY Senate (video) (6)
- Marbletown Elementary School principal, kindergarten teacher, head secretary removed from jobs (6)
- Hurley man's death not caused by drugs he allegedly received from KHS teacher Matthew DiDonna, Ulster County DA's Office says (6)
- Cottekill artist leads very colorful life (video) (6)
Recent Activity on Facebook
We'll be using this blog to publicize corrections to stories, to explain, if possible, how we made a particular mistake and to give you a better window into our reporting process.
City Editor Jeremy Schiffres comments about the news of the day and other topics that he finds interesting.