Saugerties man shot dead by state police in Pennsylvania
ST. THOMAS TOWNSHIP, Pa. — State police in Pennsylvania say troopers shot and killed an Ulster County man after responding to a report of a person trying to break into a house.
Police said Adam L. Schillinger, 27, of Saugerties, was fatally shot about 8 a.m. Saturday outside a house in St. Thomas Township, Pa., which is in the south-central part of the state, near the Maryland border.
A press release sent to the Freeman on Tuesday by state police in Chambersburg, Pa., said authorities were notified at 7:55 a.m. Saturday about a suspicious person outside the house and that while troopers were en route to the scene, they received a second report stating Schillinger had tried to force his way into the caller’s house and that he was armed with a handgun.
The press release stated troopers arriving at the house — on Bony Lane in St. Thomas Township — found Schillinger sitting in a pickup parked nearby and that he displayed a handgun toward the them, prompting them to fire at him.
Schillinger was pronounced dead by the Franklin County, Pa., Coroner’s Office, police said.
It was not clear how Schillinger was connected to the person in the house, if at all — the town where Schillinger was killed is more than 300 miles from Saugerties — and a trooper answering the phone in Chambersburg on Tuesday said an Associated Press description of the incident as a “domestic disturbance” was incorrect.
See inaccurate information in a story? Other feedback and/or ideas for us to consider? Tell us here.
Location, ST | website.com
- School district election results (787)
- Law & Disorder (May 22, 2013) (498)
- Kingston school district voters OK budget, propositions (with vote tally by polling place) (336)
- Hurley man's death not caused by drugs he allegedly received from KHS teacher Matthew DiDonna, Ulster County DA's Office says (281)
- Law & Disorder: May 21, 2013 (264)
- Saugerties schools: Budget passes, but school board election count continues (163)
- Group raps Hinchey over change of heart on Cantine Dam viewing (27)
- Hurley man's death not caused by drugs he allegedly received from KHS teacher Matthew DiDonna, Ulster County DA's Office says (5)
- Woodstock Fire Company 3 ex-Treasurer Dale Hughes Jr. sentenced to one year in jail for embezzlement (5)
- HITS primed for 10th year at Saugerties site (video, schedule, equestrian glossary) (5)
- Ulster BOCES students launch rocket (video) (4)
- Dutchess college students win voting rights settlement in federal court (With court consent order) (3)
- Minnewaska State Park gets $1.05 million for visitor center (3)
Recent Activity on Facebook
Ira Fusfeld's blog offers commentary about the newspaper business and whatever else is on his mind.
City Editor Jeremy Schiffres comments about the news of the day and other topics that he finds interesting.
Life Editor Ivan Lajara talks about living in the Hudson Valley, language, the Web, cats and even politics. But he shouldn't.
Sports editor Ron Rosner talks about the local and national sports scene.