Kingston man caught with stolen jewelry, Ulster County Sheriff's Office says
KINGSTON, N.Y. — A Kingston man was charged with grand larceny and burglary after trying to pawn jewelry he stole from a home in the town of Esopus, the Ulster County Sheriff’s Office said on Saturday.
Deputies said Joseph W. Istvan, 36, was arrested about 5:30 p.m. Friday after trying to sell the stolen goods to a jewelry store in New Paltz. The store’s owner turned Istvan away, suspecting something was amiss, and called the New Paltz Police Department, deputies said.
After deputies caught up with Istvan, they recovered the jewelry that had been stolen in Esopus, they said.
Deputies did not say when or exactly where the theft in Esopus occurred. They also did not say how many pieces of jewelry were involved or what their total value was.
Istvan additionally was charged with criminal possession of stolen property.
He was arraigned on the three felony charges in New Paltz Town Court and sent to the Ulster County Jail in lieu of $25,000 bail, the Sheriff’s Office said.
See inaccurate information in a story? Other feedback and/or ideas for us to consider? Tell us here.
Location, ST | website.com
- Law & Disorder (June 19, 2013) (3641)
- Two ATV accidents, one motorcycle crash claim three lives in three days in Greene County (update) (2604)
- Kingston baby's death being investigated as homicide, police say (2188)
- Fired Orange County deputy from Kingston arrested for shoplifting in Auburn (1526)
- Mole Mole adds Mexican flavor to Kingston waterfront (recipe) (1301)
- Catskills could get two casinos under NY leaders' deal (1247)
- Columbia County man among two charged in X-ray terror plot (973)
- Group raps Hinchey over change of heart on Cantine Dam viewing (26)
- WEIGHTLIFTING: Pat Carroll, Fred Dini set bench press marks (8)
- Bear cub freed from Phoenicia trash bin after some tense moments (6)
- Study says Catskill Mountain Rail Trail would attract 140,000 annual visitors, over $3 million (4)
- Kingston Point Dog Park nearly complete (4)
- Fired Orange County deputy from Kingston arrested for shoplifting in Auburn (3)
- Kaaterskill Rail Trail offers hiking opportunity after lengthy effort (3)
Recent Activity on Facebook
Ira Fusfeld's blog offers commentary about the newspaper business and whatever else is on his mind.
City Editor Jeremy Schiffres comments about the news of the day and other topics that he finds interesting.
Life Editor Ivan Lajara talks about living in the Hudson Valley, language, the Web, cats and even politics. But he shouldn't.
Sports editor Ron Rosner talks about the local and national sports scene.