Kingston man caught with stolen jewelry, Ulster County Sheriff's Office says
KINGSTON, N.Y. — A Kingston man was charged with grand larceny and burglary after trying to pawn jewelry he stole from a home in the town of Esopus, the Ulster County Sheriff’s Office said on Saturday.
Deputies said Joseph W. Istvan, 36, was arrested about 5:30 p.m. Friday after trying to sell the stolen goods to a jewelry store in New Paltz. The store’s owner turned Istvan away, suspecting something was amiss, and called the New Paltz Police Department, deputies said.
After deputies caught up with Istvan, they recovered the jewelry that had been stolen in Esopus, they said.
Deputies did not say when or exactly where the theft in Esopus occurred. They also did not say how many pieces of jewelry were involved or what their total value was.
Istvan additionally was charged with criminal possession of stolen property.
He was arraigned on the three felony charges in New Paltz Town Court and sent to the Ulster County Jail in lieu of $25,000 bail, the Sheriff’s Office said.
See inaccurate information in a story? Other feedback and/or ideas for us to consider? Tell us here.
Location, ST | website.com
- Marbletown Elementary School principal, kindergarten teacher, head secretary removed from jobs (3745)
- Law & Disorder (May 25, 2013) (3006)
- Angel Flight plane crashes in upstate NY; 2 killed, pilot missing (1385)
- Columbia County DA Paul Czajka declines to prosecute NY SAFE Act violation (900)
- Curtis Granderson, David Phelps injured in Yankees' victory over Rays (866)
- Hudson Valley Best Bets for this weekend (734)
- New Paltz Mayor Jason West should be ousted over residency issue, falsified records, village resident says (717)
- Group raps Hinchey over change of heart on Cantine Dam viewing (53)
- Hurley man whose death led to drug arrest of Kingston teacher had undiagnosed heart condition, wife and Ulster County prosecutor say (7)
- Kingston shelter operator honored by NY Senate (video) (6)
- Marbletown Elementary School principal, kindergarten teacher, head secretary removed from jobs (6)
- Hurley man's death not caused by drugs he allegedly received from KHS teacher Matthew DiDonna, Ulster County DA's Office says (6)
- Cottekill artist leads very colorful life (video) (6)
Recent Activity on Facebook
Ira Fusfeld's blog offers commentary about the newspaper business and whatever else is on his mind.
City Editor Jeremy Schiffres comments about the news of the day and other topics that he finds interesting.
Life Editor Ivan Lajara talks about living in the Hudson Valley, language, the Web, cats and even politics. But he shouldn't.
Sports editor Ron Rosner talks about the local and national sports scene.