Premature parachute opening paralyzed instructor, leading to two deaths in Ulster County, medical examiner concludes
PLATTEKILL, N.Y. — An autopsy has found a skydiving instructor was incapacitated by a premature chute inflation during an accident that killed him and his student two weeks ago in southern Ulster County.
The Dutchess County medical examiner said 25-year-old instructor Alex Chulsky of Brooklyn became paralyzed from a spine fracture in the June 15 accident, according to the The Journal News of White Plains. Chulsky also suffered an aortic injury.
Chulsky was strapped in a tandem harness with 49-year-old David Winoker of Chappaqua, Westchester County.
Winoker, who had three children, was buried on Father’s Day.
The parachute problem is known as a “hard opening.” In the rare occurrence, the chute prematurely inflates and violently jolts.
See inaccurate information in a story? Other feedback and/or ideas for us to consider? Tell us here.
Location, ST | website.com
- School district election results (3721)
- Law & Disorder: May 21, 2013 (2907)
- Tonight's Law & Disorder: May 20, 2013 (2679)
- Hurley man's death not caused by drugs he allegedly received from KHS teacher Matthew DiDonna, Ulster County DA's Office says (2531)
- Kardashian gets Gov. Andrew Cuomo warning letter over T-shirt logo (1411)
- EDITORIAL: Angelina Jolie sparks conversation about breast cancer (1246)
- HITS primed for 10th year at Saugerties site (video, schedule, equestrian glossary) (1106)
- Group raps Hinchey over change of heart on Cantine Dam viewing (26)
- HITS primed for 10th year at Saugerties site (video, schedule, equestrian glossary) (5)
- Hurley man's death not caused by drugs he allegedly received from KHS teacher Matthew DiDonna, Ulster County DA's Office says (5)
- Woodstock Fire Company 3 ex-Treasurer Dale Hughes Jr. sentenced to one year in jail for embezzlement (5)
- Ulster BOCES students launch rocket (video) (4)
- SCHOLASTIC TRACK AND FIELD: Onteora girls, New Paltz boys three-peat at MHAL meet (3)
- Orange Regional and Catskill Regional hospitals to cut 140 jobs (3)
Recent Activity on Facebook
Ira Fusfeld's blog offers commentary about the newspaper business and whatever else is on his mind.
City Editor Jeremy Schiffres comments about the news of the day and other topics that he finds interesting.
Life Editor Ivan Lajara talks about living in the Hudson Valley, language, the Web, cats and even politics. But he shouldn't.
Sports editor Ron Rosner talks about the local and national sports scene.